With its goofy-yet-memorable name, Moons Over My Hammy is a delicious and versatile scrambled egg sandwich that can be eaten for breakfast with hash browns on the side, or for lunch with a side of French fries. When you get the sourdough bread for this recipe, try to find a good-quality loaf with large slices.
- butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beated
- 2 ounces deli-sliced ham
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 to 2 slices processed Swiss cheese (Kraft Singles)
- 1 to 2 slices American cheese ( Kraft Singles)
On the Side
1. Put two medium-size skillets over medium heat. In one skillet, add a little butter and scramble to two eggs. Salt the eggs to taste. In the other skillet, brown the stack of sliced ham without separating the slices.
2. When the stack of ham slices has browned a bit on both sides, remove it from the pan. Butter one side of each slice of sourdough bread and put one slice into the pan, buttered side down, to grill.
3. Immediately put the slice(s) of Swiss cheese onto the face-up, unbuttered side of the bread that is grilling.
4. Stack the heated ham slices on the Swiss cheese.
5. Scoop the scrambled eggs out of the other pan with a large spatula and place them on the ham.
6. Place the slice(s) of American cheese on the eggs.
7. Top off the sandwich with the remaining slice of sourdough bread. Make sure the unbuttered side faces the cheese.
8. By this time the bread touching the pan should be grilled to a golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwich over and grill the other side for about 2 minutes or until brown.
9. Slice the sandwich horizontally through the middle and serve with hash browns or French fries on the side.